Michelle A. Mohabeer
Dr. Michelle Mohabeer is a Caribbean-Canadian multi-award-winning filmmaker, professor, and writer. Her films have exhibited at over 330 festivals and galleries globally, written about in many books and journals, and purchased by prominent university libraries across North America. Queer Coolie-tudes has won numerous awards and is still screening at global festivals. Her work is featured in “No Master Territories Feminist World Making and the Moving Image” HKW Gallery Berlin/Germany, with an accompanying book from MIT Press. Curated by Erika Balsom & Hila Peleg, June 19-August 28, 2022. She is the contributing editor of Reframing the Nation: Racialized Diasporic, Indigenous, Queer BIPOC Independent women filmmakers in Canada.
List of Films
Writer/ Producer/Director/Visual Design & Co-Videographer:
- -Queer Coolie-tudes (Creative Essay Documentary, Canada 2019, 87 mins) Canadian Premiere 29th Inside Out Film Festival, California Premiere: 45th Frameline LGBTQ film festival, European Media Library: 50th Visions du Reel Documentary Festival, Nyon, Switzerland, FIDBA (Buenos Aires International Documentary Film Festival) Sept. 2020 South America
- Blu in You (Essay Documentary, Canada/Tobago. 50 mins, 2008)
European Premiere: 24th International Turin Gay/Lesbian Film Festival (Italy) US Premiere: Society for Cinema & Media Studies Conference, March 2008 USA)
- Echoes (2003) Experimental Digital-Video, 3mins. Commissioned: Inside Out Film Festival
- Tracing Soul (2000) Experimental Digital Video 6:00 min Commissioned by Making Scenes, Ottawa Lesbian/Gay Film Festival, Funded by Canada Council
- Child-Play (1996) *Best Experimental Narrative winner Zoiefest online festival Writer/Producer/Director/Visual Design: Michelle Mohabeer, Canada/Tobago 16mm/14 mins. Experimental Narrative, Colour
- Two/Doh (1996) Canada/16mm/5mins. Experimental, Women’s Television Network-Canadian premiere Featured in “No Master Territories Feminist World Making and the Moving Image” HKW Gallery Berlin/Germany, with an accompanying book by MIT Press. Curated by Erika Balsom & Hila Peleg. June 19-August 28, 2022
- Coconut/Cane & Cutlass (1994) *Winner of 2 International Awards Writer/Producer/Director: Michelle Mohabeer, Canada/Guyana, 16mm/32 mins. Hybrid Documentary.
- EXPOSURE (1990) Canada, 16mm/8 mins Documentary, NFB-Studio D Production Award Commissioned for Five Feminist Minutes Omnibus collection.